Chocoa 2017 Sustainable cocoa: integrity and transparency
Friday February 24
Moderated by Marieke Eyskoot (Sustainable Fashion Expert)
10:00 Opening Minister Ploumen and Vice mayor of Amsterdam Ollongren (invited)
10:30 Dealing with climate change:
- Impact of climate change on land use: we have seen the problem, what are we going to do about it?
- The ecological impact of cocoa production: deforestation and biodiversity loss or reforestation?
- How can we prevent farmers taking the blow? Companies can adapt sourcing strategies and move to other regions, farmers are stuck to their land
- Perspective of producing countries on climate change, how does the sense of urgency translate in actions? Or does it?
- Large plantations versus smallholder farming: what is the answer.
12:00 Journalist panel:
- The role of the media in sustainable chocolate consumption.
- Comparison between sustainability in the cocoa supply chain and other supply chains (not necessarily an agricultural commodity)
- Developments on the supply side of cocoa: where, how, what, cocoa will be produced.
- Developments on the demand side of cocoa: quality demands, sustainability demands from consumers to be met by producers, balance between supply and demand.
13:00 Lunch break
14:30 Progress in sustainable cocoa:
- Sustainability commitments 2020/2025: are we still on track?
- How do we measure impact of sustainability progress? (Key Performance Indicators)
- How can most chocolate in Dutch supermarkets be sustainable, when only half of all chocolate in the Netherlands is certified?
- Improved reliability of certification vs rising costs of audits: Risk based auditing as a tool to ensure integrity of certification?
- Does a growing chocolate market in producing countries contribute to sustainability? (more value adding in the origin countries)
- How can we demand that countries produce sustainable cocoa when consuming countries don’t commit to consuming only sustainable chocolate?
16:00 Coffee break
16:45 Supply chain integrity:
- How do future markets accommodate sustainable cocoa?
- Power relations and concentrations in the supply chain (Research Anna Laven, are we allowed to present the results?).
- How do companies arrange their chain of custody?
- Accountability of stakeholders
- Role of retail